Lawton High School Student Takes State
The Oklahoma Humanities Council is pleased to announce that six regional finalists competed for the state title at the Poetry Out Loud Oklahoma state finals on Saturday, March 3, 2012, at the Lyric Theater at the Plaza in Oklahoma City. The results of that competition are:
- Oklahoma State Champion - Denise Burns, Lawton High School (Lawton)
- 2nd Place Finalist - Morgan Steele, Union Intermediate High School (Broken Arrow)
- Olivia Fletcher, Stillwater High School (Stillwater)
- Denisse Garcia, Putnam City West High School (Oklahoma City)
- Megan Holmes, Cushing High School (Cushing)
- Sarah Southerland, Dickson High School (Dickson)
Oklahoma State Poet Laureate Eddie Wilcoxen gave a reading of his poetry during the 2012 state finals. A free reception to honor the state finalists followed the awards presentation
The state finals winner will receive $200 and an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington (with his/her chaperone) to compete for the national championship. The winner’s school will receive a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books. One runner-up will receive $100; his or her school will receive $200 for the purchase of poetry books.
A total of $50,000 in scholarships and school stipends will be awarded to winners at the National Finals, with a $20,000 college scholarship awarded to the National Champion. Note: prizes are offered only for official competitions identified and conducted by the Oklahoma Humanities Council.
A special thank you to the Oklahoma Arts Council and the George Kaiser Family Foundation for sponsoring the 2011-2012 Poetry Out Loud contest in Oklahoma.
Posted on March 3, 2012
by Traci Jinkens